2nd Avenue Animal Hospital is following the current standard of care by recommending twice
yearly wellness exams. Our pets age seven times faster than we do, so
problems like diabetes, kidney disease, liver disease, heart disease
and cancer can occur much earlier than we would expect. The old
practice of bringing your pet in to see the veterinarian once a year is
the equivalent of you visiting your doctor only once every seven years.
Significant health changes can occur in pets in as little as three to
six months. Because cats and dogs cannot tell us where it hurts,
examinations once every six months allow us to identify any problems
early, possibly even before clinical signs are noted at home. The
earlier a problem is detected, the more likely we will be able to treat
it and extend your petís life. For more information on the benefits of
twice yearly exams and the aging process of pets, visit the National
Pet Wellness Month website at www.npwm.com
This Easter season, it is important to remember the dangers associated
with Easter Lilies, as well as other members of the lily family. Easter
Lilies, Tiger Lilies and various Day Lilies are very toxic to cats.
These plants cause kidney failure and death, even if only a small
portion of the plant is ingested. All parts of the plant, including the
flowers, are toxic. Eating less than one leaf can produce serious
clinical signs. Within two hours of ingestion, the cat can develop
vomiting, depression and loss of appetite. The vomiting may subside by
twelve hours post ingestion, but depression and anorexia continue as
kidney values increase within one to three days post ingestion. Early
therapy would consist of inducing vomiting and administering cathartic
agents to bind up the toxin, followed by aggressive fluid diuresis for
at least two days. Postponing treatment for greater that 18 hours after
exposure can result in kidney failure and death. The mortality rate is
very high if renal failure occurs. Satisfactory recovery rates occur if
treatment is started early.
Easter Basket Dangers:
Keep all Easter candy away from your pets. Chocolate is very dangerous
and toxic to dogs and cats, even in small amounts. Easter grass can be
very attractive to curious cats and dogs. Use caution in allowing them
to play with Easter grass, however, because there is a risk of
life-threatening intestinal obstructions if they are allowed to swallow
the Easter grass.
leave any pets outside after dark on Halloween, or even the days before
and after Halloween. This is especially true for black cats. Vicious
pranksters have seriously harmed and killed pets on Halloween. Black
cats seem to be especially targeted for these pranks.
avoid having your pet run out the front door when it is opened for
trick or treaters, keep your pet confined and do not allow them to be
near the door. Also be sure that your pet is wearing identification
just in case he or she does actually get out when the door is opened.
Keep all Halloween candy away from your pets. Chocolate is very dangerous and toxic to dogs and cats, even in small amounts.
not feed your pet left-over food from your holiday dinners, and be sure
to keep him or her out of the garbage. Greasy, fatty or spicy foods can
cause intestinal upset and pancreatitis. Never give bones, especially
poultry bones, to your pets. Pieces of the bones can become lodged in
the intestinal tract and can lead to an intestinal obstruction.
and cover all electrical cords used for decorating. Curious kittens and
puppies (and even some adult cats and dogs) may chew the cords and
receive and electrical shock.
Keep all decorations away
from pets. Tinsel is especially attractive to cats, but if they ingest
it, they can develop an intestinal obstruction.
all holiday cookies and candies away from pets. Even small amounts of
these goodies can cause serious illness in dogs and cats.
cautious with holiday flower arrangements. Many holiday floral
arrangements contain lilies (Tiger, Stargazer, Japanese Show and Asian
to name a few) which can lead to kidney failure if ingested.
Poinsettias, mistletoe and Holly berries can also be dangerous.
Although Poinsettias are not as toxic as everyone believes, they can
cause nausea and vomiting if ingested. Mistletoe ingestion could lead
to stomach upset and heart problems. Holly berries can cause lethargy,
diarrhea and vomiting.
Try to keep your pet from
drinking Christmas tree water. Stagnant water can be an excellent
source of bacteria, which can lead to vomiting and diarrhea if
ingested. The water could also contain fertilizers, which can also lead
to stomach upset.